When it comes to material construction projects, stainless steel is right up there with the most popular materials. In fact, stainless steel has been used for centuries in various applications such as landscapes, maritime construction, interiors, architecture and in mechanical engineering Perth-wide. Steel is so enduringly popular due to being recyclable, durable, versatile and strong.
So, What is Stainless Steel?
Stainless steel must contain 10% chromium as a minimum and is a low-carbon steel. The chromium that is added to the steel is behind the formation of the chromium oxide film that provides this steel with so many of its unique properties. For example, its ability to heal when oxygen is present as well as its corrosion-resistance. Interestingly, there are more than 60 grades of this material. Higher grades are most used for exposure to acidic or alkaline solutions whereas the low grades work best in water and atmospheric applications.
Stainless Steel Advantages
It’s true that stainless steel perhaps has a higher upfront cost than other metals, however, it will stay fit for purpose for longer than other comparable materials. So, it works out as far more economical over the long term. Overall, stainless steel is a very powerful candidate when it comes to materials selection for many Perth steel fabrication projects. In addition, this material offers:
- Heat and fire resistance. Nickel-alloyed and high chromium grades, in particular, retain strength at high temperatures and resist scaling.
- Corrosion resistance. As previously mentioned, lower alloyed grades are corrosion resistant in pure water and atmospheric environments. High grades work well and are corrosion-resistant in chlorine, most acids and alkaline solutions so are useful in process plants etc.
- Aesthetics. Stainless steel is easily maintained to provide an attractive and modern look.
- Life cycle. Stainless steel has a very long life cycle so works out as a cheap solution over the space of time.
- Strength-to-weight. There can be good cost savings made due to the strength-to-weight advantage of various stainless steel grades.
- Impact resistance. There are some grades of steel that work brilliantly in cryogenic applications as well as being tough even at elevated temperatures.
- Easy to fabricate. Using modern equipment, stainless steel can be fabricated, welded, cut, machined and formed as easily as traditional steels.
- Sustainable. Stainless steel is a very sustainable material choice. It’s 100% recyclable. Also, the recycling process does not compromise the strength of stainless steel. Additionally, it’s true that recycling steels uses less energy to shape, refine and purify components.
- Hygienic. Stainless steel is hygienic so is perfect for kitchen and hospital applications.
So, as you see, stainless steel has a wide variety of properties and uses. It also comes in a range of finishes. When it comes to Perth steel fabrication, this material is enduringly popular. Stainless steel is one of the most versatile metals for use in an extremely vast array of projects. Why not find out more about stainless steel for use in your precision machining or contract fabrication project today?